Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Dec 2015 Interview with Kaneko and Agematsu

The most recent issue of Bushiroad's monthly magazine was released just a few days ago. It features an article and interview with the creators in celebration of the upcoming release of the Symphogear GX booster for the Weiss Schwarz card game. It also includes an exclusive promo card! You can read the interview after the jump.









So Symphogear GX has recently finished airing, please tell us a bit about how you feel.

Kaneko:
Thanks to all of the staff’s really hard work we were able to safely make it to the broadcast of the final episode. To be honest, I have to say what I feel the most is relief.

Agematsu:
In terms of the music, I look back on it and think “there’s still so much more I can do!” so right now I’m filled with the feeling of “I want to make the next one!”

Tell us some details about the beginning of GX’s production

Agematsu:
After taking in the reaction of Symphogear G I started to feel strongly that we could reach even higher with the series and so along with my co-creator, Mr. Kaneko, and our producer, Mr. Morii, we all decided to move ahead with a sequel.

Kaneko:
 We felt that all of the fans who watched G were very passionate and there’s no mistaking that our motivation to move forward was due to their support. So I’m really grateful for them.

 
What sort of meaning is behind the “GX” featured in the title?

Kaneko:
Since this is the second season of “Symphogear” that we worked on together with our director, Mr. Ono, the use of G in the title is partly an acknowledgement of that pedigree, but at the same time we added the “X” to indicate that it was an ending to the episode of “G.”

Agematsu:
In the beginning I thought we could just have it as “GG” [pronounced: double g], so I went to talk to Mr. Kaneko about it. I presented the idea as “we will (g)ive it our best (twice) over, so…GG” and I remember even now that I ended up really embarrassed by how cheap it seemed [laughs]. 


What was the theme that you chose for GX?

Kaneko:
I approached it as being a story of individuals who inherit the feelings of another. In this case, Hibiki and her father Akira, Carol and her father Isaac, and in the last episode Carol and Elfnein. In order to make this happen it was necessary to provide a close-up of the situations those characters were in relative to the person they inherited from. 

Agematsu:
Ever since I discussed with Mr. Kaneko that this would be a story that brought an end to “G,” I wanted to represent the idea of “GX” in a musical way. What I eventually came up with is found in the climax scene of episode 13 where we combine two songs together: (G)lorious Break and E(X)terminate. When I brought the idea to Ms. Nana Mizuki I asked her, “Can you help make 2 songs that have a single meaning?” and she cheerfully replied, “That’s interesting, let’s do it!” So thanks to her we were able to make it happen. 


In GX what are the scenes that make you say “oh we wanted to do this” or “I hope people pay attention to this”?

Kaneko:
Personally I am a fan of movies, so I really wanted things to start off like it was a Hollywood production. So right from the outset in episode 1 we were already pushing the limits in nearly every aspect.

Agematsu:
I feel the same about episode 1’s beginning. It really was the result of all of “Team Symphogear” coming together. When this scene was finished at the studio there was a huge sense of accomplishment coupled with the feeling of “how are we going to make it better than this?” which became our struggle.

Please tell us about any future developments for the “Symphogear” series.

Kaneko:
Well of course there’s next year’s concert event! The concert is essentially a live action version of “Symphogear” that will have enough intensity to match the anime, so if you enjoyed GX then please come participate at the event. It might change the world!

Agematsu:
The idea I originally had that gave birth to the “Symphogear” series was “creating something that culminates with a live concert.” I’d like to unite the staff as one and create a stage event that doesn’t lose out to the anime in terms of intensity. That’s what I want to show everyone!


Please send a message to the Weiss Schwarz fans who are awaiting the release of Symphogear GX’s booster.

Kaneko:
I write Symphogear’s story with the belief that when one loses badly it’s not something to be ashamed of, but rather standing up and continuing the fight is a source of pride. When you fight with the Symphogear cards don’t be afraid of losing, but stand resolute and throw down the gauntlet!  

Agematsu:
When you play the game and put out a level 3 character, consider playing their character song CD and reciting some of their lines from the show. I guarantee it’ll get you pumped! When I did it I also felt it boosted my chances of winning, so please try it for yourself (laughs).  


No comments:

Post a Comment